Monday, June 18, 2007

Coit Tower, San Francisco



An obviously touristy thing to do I never made it up Coit tower when I lived here. It looms like a sentinel on top of a hill in North Beach. The phallic, fire hose-like tower was built as a monument to firemen with money left by Lillie Coit. She was an eccentric lady who was apparently obsessed with firemen, having been saved from a burning building at the age of eight.

Struggling up the steep hilly streets (how do people live up here?) I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. I feel better when I see other people stop to rest as well. A lift takes me to the top of the tower where there are fantastic views of the city and the bay albeit through windows. I spot a dark smudge on my lens that's appearing on the photos. I open up the camera and try to blow the dust off. I make it worse. When will I learn?

No comments: