Friday, June 29, 2007

Waipoua Kauri Forest, New Zealand



Although I don't feel I've done Auckland justice in the three days I've been here I'm keen to see the rest of the North Island so a little reluctantly I leave on the 'Magic Bus' for the Bay of Islands in the North. As soon as we leave Auckland the rain starts lashing down so hard I can barely see through the window, and the wind almost blows the small bus off the road. We pass through farmland and rolling countryside so green it looks luminescent.

On the way we stop off at the magnificent Waipoua Forest, a sanctuary with ancient giant kauri trees that can grow up to 60 metres in height and 5 metres in diameter. Ta Matua Ngahere (Father of the Forest) has a trunk of over 5 metres in diameter, believed to be the widest girth of any kauri tree in New Zealand. Tane Mahuta (God of the Forest) is the largest kauri tree in New Zealand and estimated to be around 2000 years old.

(Photo - Tane Mahuta (God of the Forest))

No comments: