Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Great Barrier Reef, Australia



As I wasn't expecting much of Cairns I'm heading straight out to the Great Barrier Reef for three days of liveaboard diving organised by www.divethereef.com who managed to find me an Advanced course dive package that didn't cost a small mortgage.
It's raining and the seas are so rough people everywhere are being sick in bags. There are 30 of us, an assortment of snorkellers, experienced and non-experienced divers. After 1.5 hours of travelling 30 kilometres from Cairns, we arrive at our diving spot on the reef. I look out and see we're in the middle of the ocean. If it wasn't for waves breaking over a shallow part of the reef we could be anywhere. It's not how I imagined the Great Barrier Reef. I envisioned a string of sand bars with inviting warm turquoise lagoons. This water is dark, rough and looks cold. I don't want to jump in.

No comments: