Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Norman Reef (Playground), Great Barrier Reef, Australia



It's the one I've been dreading most: the Night Dive. I've struggling to work out why anyone would want to blindly jump into cold inky water. The fact that a torch is needed to see anything surely means we shouldn't be doing it. Despite my reservations and fear, I've been told by those in the know that these are the best dives they've done so there's no way I'm not going to try it.

As I launch myself off the boat saying inaudibly I thought 'I'm not sure I want to do this' the instructor replies 'it's alright'. Even with a torch it's not as bright as I expected. Perhaps the visibility is too poor. The instructor points to something on the corals. I can't see anything but nod anyway. Then it moves and I notice two Reef Octopuses with linked tentacles gliding over the rocks. Afterwards he asks if I saw them change colour as they became more wary of us. I didn't as I was just thrilled to see them in the first place.

Even more amazing are the Grey Reef Sharks. Shortly before I jumped in the instructor had thrown some bread off the boat. As we're ascending on the anchor line seven or eight 1-2 metre specimens circle us in the floodlight of the boat. I'm transfixed, not quite believing what I'm seeing. Sharks.
(Photo - Hawksbill Turtle)

No comments: