Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Reef HQ, Townsville, Australia



I've come to Townsville purely to dive the Yongala, one of the top 10 shipwrecks in the world. The dive has been arranged by www.divethereef.com who organised my Advanced Open Water course on the Great Barrier Reef. When I call the dive shop to 'check in' the man asks me to call back after 3.30 when he has the weather report. 'Does that mean we might not go?' I ask. I wasn't expecting this. 'Need to check the wind' he says and puts the phone down. What I didn't realise at the time was the boat hadn't been out for eight days due to high winds. I'm at a bit of a loss as I didn't even think there was a possibility we wouldn't go.

There doesn't seem a lot to do in Townsville either so I head off to the recommended Reef HQ. I'm just in time to join the 'Venomous Animals'' talk which covers the Box Jellyfish, Cone shells, Stonefish and sea snakes. I'm starting to drift off when I hear the Yongala is a breeding ground for sea snakes. Oh lord.

No comments: