Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Yongala Wreck, Australia



As the Yongala is a mass grave (the instructor says if you look carefully you can sometimes see shafts of bone) it's been a non-penetration wreck for the past 14 years. This is also to preserve it as long as possible as oxygen bubbles from diving tanks accelerate corrosion. This means you can only dive around it or above it but not inside. To be honest the wreck is so stunningly beautiful I don't feel I'm missing out. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to see it.
On the way back I tell the instructor that I've been feeling woozy for the past few days and does he think I have decompression sickness. 'No. It's because you don't stay at a constant depth' he replies. 'I think I did' I say. 'You're terrible with a camera' he says. Ahh. He may have a point. I do tend to risk life and limb for the perfect shot.

No comments: