Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Norman Reef (Playground), Great Barrier Reef, Australia



Having done four dives yesterday, the thought of plunging into deep cold water at 6.30am does not excite me. If there was anyway I could avoid it I would. It's not even properly light yet. It's the third dive of the Padi Advanced course, the Deep Dive, which requires me to dive to a depth of 30 metres. That translates as cold water in my head.

It actually turns out to be the best dive I did. The water is calm and free of currents, and the sun is just rising, filtering down a subdued light. On the ocean floor the instructor breaks open a raw egg that's immediately gobbled up by a giant silver Trevally fish. He then takes out a slate with numbers to test our alertness. Nitrogen Narcosis starts to set in at 24 metres for most people impairing mental functions. I can't remember if he told us what to do or if I wasn't listening properly so when he signals 3-2-1 I'm not sure whether he wants me to add the numbers up and which numbers? Obviously Nitrogen Narcosis has always been a problem for me. I then realise he wants me to count to 26 on the board while he times me. 38 seconds. He will then test me on land. I am only marginally faster above water.

No comments: