Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Great Barrier Reef, Australia



I dive twice again today including another night dive. After five dives, I'm completely exhausted. I am now a certified Advanced Open Water Diver, even though I wasn't very good at navigation and still struggle to clear my mask under water. I ask the instructor if everyone passes their certificate as I've never heard of anyone failing. 'Not everyone' he replies. 'I had a couple last week who couldn't swim'. I contemplate this for a minute. I can't imagine wanting to dive in deep water if I couldn't swim. I'd be terrified. Later that day I talk to a girl from Hong Kong who started the first Open Water course to be told that 'she wasn't ready' and was downgraded to a scuba diving course.

(Photo - A Clownfish or 'Nemo' as everyone calls them hiding in the sea anemone)

No comments: