Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Lake Outlet Track, Wanaka, New Zealand



It rained heavily last night and I got soaked - and lost on the 15-minute walk back to the hostel. Why don't they have adequate street lighting? One street lamp every 200 metres is not enough! I shall write to Shania to ask for funding.

I had planned to do some serious walking today, like the Rob Roy climb, but looking out at the dreary grey skies this frankly doesn't appeal. Instead I head to the i-site information office to see what else I can do. Apart from Puzzling World, indoor rock climbing and watching a film there isn't a lot else on offer.

As I whinge to the i-site lady about the weather she tells me that they've had blue skies until recently. Just my luck. I decide to do a walk anyway as I can't afford to wait around for the weather to improve. It is winter so I could be here for days or weeks. The Rob Roy track starts 55 kilometres out of Wanaka up a gravel track and there's no transport there so I have to strike that one off my list.

The i-site lady recommends the 10 kilometre walk around the eastern shore of the lake starting in Albert Town walking back to Wanaka. As luck would have it her husband walks in at that moment and offers me a lift to the start of the Lake Outlet Track.

No comments: