Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nevis Highwire Bungy, Queenstown, New Zealand



The Nevis is a bit of an ordeal. After the 'check in' and the hanging around for half an hour there's a 45-minute bus ride out to the canyon where we jump. I'm quite happy sitting on the bus and don't want the journey to end but I know it's my nerves talking. As the bus climbs the last hill I hear 'oohs' from the other side of the bus. They must have seen the jumping pod. I carry on looking out of my window. I don't want to see.

As we're getting off the bus, the driver asks if we have any questions. I ask if I should leave my woolly hat on as it's rather cold. 'You can' he replies 'but it probably won't be coming back up with you'. It was a stupid question really. Inside the small office I'm weighed again and my weight is written on my hand. The heaviest people will jump first which is most of the boys, meaning I'll have an agonising wait before it's my turn. I look out over the canyon to see a small pod suspended over the Nevis River. My first thought is that it's not as high as I thought.

No comments: