Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nevis Highwire Bungy, Queenstown, New Zealand



When it's my turn I climb into the cable car with five others to take me across to the pod. We're all attached to the car with carabinas. Inside the pod it's buzzing. Loud rock music and adrenaline-filled jumpers make it a deafening place. The pod sways slightly which unnerves some. There are also glass panels in the floor so you can see what you're jumping into.

I wait ten minutes before my name is called to have my bungy straps fitted. Soon I'm sitting in what looks like a dentists chair and attached to the bungy rope. The bungy master is an intimidating lady who tells me to leap and not just 'fall off' the platform. I must also pull the release cord to invert myself on the second or third bounce. It's already too much information.

'Smile' at the camera she says but my face looks like I'm being made to jump without a harness. When she's not looking I check to see if my harness is fitted securely, unbeknown to me that my DVD is already recording.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are crazy!...i think....but you are definitely enjoying life, we only have one chance at it...go for it.....Bob