Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fox township, New Zealand



It's raining for a change so I'm keen to move on. The bus is full today and I struggle to find a seat. I can't believe it. There were only seven people on it two days ago. I'm told it's school holidays and the start of the ski season which means Wanaka and Queenstown will be bursting at the seams.

30 minutes down the road from Franz Josef is the township of Fox, which is home to an equally impressive glacier. The town itself is tiny but surrounded by towering snow-capped mountains. I can see the glacier inching out into the valley.

I deliberated for ages about which one to walk on but in the end logistics won out as without a car Fox is difficult to get to. Lucky for me I'd chosen Franz Josef as the Fox glacier has been closed off for all activities recently as it's been advancing quickly and become unstable.

No comments: