Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nevis Highwire Bungy, Queenstown, New Zealand



I had weird dreams last night and am a bit stiff this morning from the rock climbing yesterday.

At the Bungy Centre I sign away my life on the indemnity form and tell them I have a slight problem with my neck. I didn't think it would be a problem but the girl behind the desk phones someone and then transfers me to the 'deck master' at the Nevis. He tells me I'll be fine as long as I leap out as far as I can for a smoother ride. If I just 'drop off' then I could suffer whiplash. Now I'm worried. I didn't know there was a technique involved in bungy jumping.

They weigh me and write some numbers and codes on a piece of paper. The girl at the desk asks me where I'm from for my certificate. It's already being printed and I haven't even jumped yet. I ask her if anyone ever turns back from the platform. 'No, she says but a few people have jumped off crying'. 'Has anyone been seriously injured? I ask. 'No but there's always a first' she replies laughing. I think she's in the wrong job.

No comments: