Monday, July 30, 2007

Milford Sound, New Zealand



I learn that Milford Sound is actually a fjord. The difference between fjords and sounds is that fjords are gouged out by the action of advancing and retreating glaciers over long periods of changing temperatures, carving the landscapes as they move. Sounds are created by land erosion.

By the time I arrive at Milford Sound it's 12.30 and the sun is high and glaring. It's not the brooding atmosphere I was hoping for. It must one of the few bright sunny days Milford Sound has seen.

Once through the terminal that's a bit like a mini-airport, and on board I head out past Mitre Peak, the famous landmark into the fjord. The sun is blinding and it's difficult to take photos that aren't completely washed out by the glare. Even though it's low season, several boats travelling down the fjord towards the Tasman Sea. The fjord is dramatic - high peaks, glacial-carved hills, countless waterfalls tumbling out of nowhere but I'm left slightly disappointed. This isn't the isolated, mysterious place I'd imagined. There are too many tourists for that, although I'm relieved I came when I did as I hear they have up to 80 tourist buses at a time here in summer.

No comments: