Thursday, July 26, 2007

Queenstown Hill Time Walk, New Zealand



I briefly toy with the idea of abandoning the hill and taking an easy lakeside walk instead but decide to go ahead.

The path is very steep and icy, winding around the broad forested hill. Average fitness? That just makes me feel great. Twenty minutes into the walk I arrive at a metal gate and then enter a dark pine forest. The trees are so densely packed I struggle to see. It's cold and spooky and I'm constantly looking behind me although I haven't seen anyone since I started walking. I love forests but I'm relieved to break out into daylight after a long twenty minutes in darkness.

A short time later I've reached a grassy knoll with a frozen tarn and breathtaking 360 degree views of Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown and Bay, The Remarkables and Ben Lomond. It's one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen and well worth the hard graft getting up here. I have it all to myself as there's not a soul in sight.

On the grassy knoll is the 'Basket of Dreams'. Although the summit of Te Tapanui is a further 20 minute trudge through ankle-deep snow I'm inspired by the views and have a new lease of energy. As I reach the summit I see someone else approaching from the other side. The first person I've seen on the walk all day is Dave from Leicester. We offer to take photos of each other on the summit.

(Photo - On the summit of Te Tapanui)

No comments: