Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mount Iron, Wanaka, New Zealand



I fail to get up early as I'd planned. The sky was dark until about 8.30 so there didn't seem to be much point. I'm walking up Mount Iron today, a loop-track walk described as 'relatively easy' in the Lonely Planet. I take this with a pinch of salt. I figure as it's a mountain there'll be some sort of climbing involved. The i-site lady recommended I walk up the reverse way so that I'll have panoramic views of the town and lake on my way down. Sounds like a good plan.

The track starts about 2 kilometres out of town and winds slowly around the mountain for about 15 minutes until it begins a steep ascent. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but after 45 minutes of huffing and puffing I'm at the summit. The views of the lake, town and surrounding valley are spectacular. It seems a shame to have to walk down.

(Photo - View from Mount Iron)

No comments: